Saturday, July 23, 2011

Update.. some travels

Oh.  I haven't been writing in a while.  I haven't really felt compelled to share my thoughts... or the ones I want to share really shouldn't be broadcasted publicly.  Not typing is good for my tendonitus.  Sometimes I'm just busy- like my recent trip to Ithaca.

I went without my man for he feels too busy, but I had fun with my little star.  I managed to make him take naps by taking him out in the car at nap time to go somewhere, and assumed he'd fall asleep on the way there or on the way back.  This worked every day (There were four days) except for the first one.  He also manage to sleep past 6:30 am despite some rather late bedtimes.  Perhaps it helped that I clipped a blue sheet to shade the windows a bit better- and I also kept them shut so the birds didn't wake us at 5 am.  The weather was so hot after the first two nights, that they had to turn on the air conditioning.  I was NOT complaining.  We've started turning ours on at night as well.

In Ithaca we managed to visit a ton of cool play grounds, Cornell Plantations, the best waterfall walk, the science center, and an outdoor concert by the folks who wrote Ashoken Farewell.  My little star enjoyed the helium balloon they gave him at the concert.  We also picked blueberries one morning. We even got to see a few old friends at the last minute and lots of relatives.  It was a little tiring being single mom, but all in all it went pretty well.  My sisters were wonderful aunties to my little star.  I wished he could see them more often.

I also learned to take caffeine and ibuprofen for a long drive.  The ibuprofen helped the tendinitus, and the green tea in the mint cliff bars meant I felt alert the whole time I was driving.  Too, bad I don't seem to enjoy the taste of them much anymore.

I went with my little star's preschool to the zoo yesterday.  It was ridiculously hot.  We bared it.  I think he mostly liked the aquarium- he's never seen one, and he has books about them, so I was glad he got to see it.

I sure wish he were potty trained- I told him he was too old for diapers at 3.5 yrs, and he has the skills for it mostly.  Its  just a matter of him not refusing to go at the right time as long as he's not going to TELL me when to go.  Problem is Rest stops and other public places have BLOWERS and AUTOMATIC toilets.  This horror that cannot even be mitigated by bringing his little potty.

I was working pretty hard on science play space stuff... still I don't know if this grant will be in by the end next week.  It seems like as soon as I went on "vacation" nothing got done- and we were supposed to have a rough draft by now.  Well we have a rough very rough thing, that I will probably force into a grant, but it would be a lot better if everyone just did their part... on TIME.  It also is a bit scary that they haven't.... I mean should I keep pursing this?  But then I think how much the kids around here really need it, and I want it to happen, even if I do have to do most of the work.  I'm just not sure if its viable if I do most of the work.  That's really my dilemma.

My little star is singing with me.  I know I said that last time.  But I really like it.  And, its not an anomaly- he's still doing it.

I had to say that because his utter melt downs this evening after not taking a nap were so bad that its caused a bit of friction for the parents.  By the way, I did NOT melt down at all.  So I guess that's a good thing.

And another good thing... I got to sleep late this morning- my husband took care of breakfast for little star, and I went back to sleep until 9 am!!.

No comments:

Post a Comment